Landscape grading is the art of shaping the land around your Charlotte home. Primarily aimed at correcting or preventing drainage problems, you can also choose to grade the land to create flat spaces or distinct levels for aesthetic purposes.
Grading requires a backhoe and special tools, plus intimate knowledge of the local soil conditions. The licensed experts at Hyatt Landscaping can take care of grading for Charlotte homes, along with other drainage solutions.
To request a consultation for landscape grading in the Charlotte area, please call us or contact us online.
How Landscape Grading Works
Grading provides the very foundation for your entire landscape. Proper grading will allow you to maximize the use of your property. The two general purposes for grading are necessity and enhancement (see below for more details). However, finding a way to fulfill both of these can be difficult. Many factors must be considered before determining the final grade of a property, though none more important than allowing for proper drainage. If water does not flow away from a structure, serious damage can result to the foundation. Poor drainage in the lawn and planting areas will prevent intended vegetation from thriving. In addition to allowing for proper drainage, it’s extremely important to create the best possible grade depending on the site’s intended use. Each element in the design of a property has a recommended percentage of slope. Veering too far from the recommended percentages will make an area unmanageable, unusable, and sometimes unsafe.
Grading needs vary from site to site. We specialize in custom grading solutions that will maximize the use of your property. For years our staff has worked closely with many builders, developers, and homeowners resulting in an enormous amount of knowledge and experience in this area. We work with state of the art equipment to ensure our solutions are based on accurate measurements. In addition, our equipment operators have an average of 20 years experience, which not only ensures the job will be done correctly but allows the final product to be completed with efficiency.
- Water must drain away from homes or other structures to reduce potential problems
- Water must be drained as quickly as possible from paved walks and driveways to ensure safety during and immediately after a rain
- Water should be properly drained from lawn surfaces to prevent standing water or soggy, wet areas
- Planting beds or other vegetative surfaces should be drained to prevent damage to plant material
- Walkways need to be graded with a maximum slope of 5% in mind. If the fixed elevations will not allow this transition, steps or ramps should be installed or created.
- Lawn areas are often used as a means of access throughout your property. Even if you have sufficient walkways and sidewalks, it is still important to keep your lawn from exceeding a 25% slope for safely operating a mower.
How grading can enhance your property:
- Creating more level surfaces on your property can increase the potential for play and other outdoor activities
- Grading can be used to screen undesirable on-site or off-site views. Many times this is done by building a berm and installing plant material.
- Clearing a natural area can allow more usable space for your property.
- Define edges between and partially enclosed spaces. A small difference in elevation between one space and another makes each seem like a distinct place.
We provide landscaping services including installation, hardscapes, lighting, irrigation, grading, and drainage throughout all Charlotte NC areas.
Professional Landscape Grading Service in Charlotte
As a rule of thumb, you want the land to slope at a 5 percent grade away from your house (i.e., six inches down per ten feet). Extreme slopes will direct water where you want it but could cause overwatering in other places and make the lawn hard to enjoy. That’s why you need a proper landscape grading in Charlotte, given our relatively wet climate.
Our Charlotte landscaping installation team can grade your lawn and property for style and function.
- We take laser-sharp measurements and conduct soil tests to determine how much grading your Charlotte home needs
- Our crew uses backhoes and handheld tools to accurately create the proper grade
- French drains, swales, gutter drainage, and other features can be added to improve the drainage performance
- Berms and shrubs can be installed to make the yard more three-dimensional and with better privacy
- Hardscaping such as sidewalks and stone pathways can make it more comfortable to walk on graded slopes
- Turf, shrubs, and trees are selected and planted with water needs and drainage lines in mind
Consult with Hyatt Landscaping for Grading in Charlotte
We take a consultative approach to understand your goals for grading, drainage, and the finished landscape. Hyatt Landscaping is a licensed North Carolina landscaping contractor serving Charlotte, Weddington, Matthews, Monroe, Huntersville, and the surrounding communities.
Call 704-888-5390 to discuss landscape grading in Charlotte with the award-winning team at Hyatt Landscaping, or find our online contact info here.