Grading provides the very foundation for your entire landscape. Proper grading will allow you to maximize the use of your property. The two general purposes for grading are necessity and enhancement (see below for more details). However, finding a way to fulfill both of these can be difficult. Many factors must be considered before determining the final grade of a property, though none more important that allowing for proper drainage. If water does not flow away from a structure, serious damage can result to the foundation. Poor drainage in the lawn and planting areas will prevent intended vegetation from thriving. In addition to allowing for proper drainage, it’s extremely important to create the best possible grade depending on the site’s intended use. Each element in the design of a property has a recommended percentage of slope. Veering to far from the recommended percentages will make an area unmanageable, unusable, and sometimes unsafe.
Grading needs vary from site to site. We specialize in custom grading solutions that will maximize the use of your property. For years our staff has worked closely with many builders, developers and homeowners resulting in an enormous amount of knowledge and experience in this area. We work with state of the art equipment to ensure our solutions are based on accurate measurements. In addition, our equipment operators have an average of 20 years experience, which not only ensures the job will be done correctly, but allows the final product to be completed with efficiency.
- Water must drain away from homes or other structures to reduce potential problems
- Water must be drained as quickly as possible from paved walks and driveways to ensure safety during and immediately after a rain
- Water should be properly drained from lawn surfaces to prevent standing water or soggy, wet areas
- Planting beds or other vegetative surfaces should be drained to prevent damage to plant material
- Walkways need to be graded with a maximum slope of 5% in mind. If the fixed elevations will not allow this transition, steps or ramps should be installed or created.
- Lawn areas are often used as a means of access throughout your property. Even if you have sufficient walkways and sidewalks, it is still important to keep your lawn from exceeding a 25% slope for safely operating a mower.
How grading can Enhance your property:
- Creating more level surfaces on your property can increase the potential for play and other outdoor activities
- Grading can be used to screen undesirable on-site or off-site views. Many times this is done by building a berm and installing plant material.
- Clearing a natural area can allow more usable space for your property.
- Define edges between and partially enclose spaces. A small difference in elevation between one space and another makes each seem like a distinct place.
We provide landscaping services including installation, hardscapes, lighting, irrigation, grading and drainage throughout all Charlotte NC areas.